Thinktrain has moved! Redirecting…


You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://thinktrain.net/ and update your bookmarks.


Friday, October 20, 2006

Galactica Friday: Exodus Part Two


Battlestar Galactica is the first television series I've consistently followed in more than a decade. Several critics have called this series the "best show on television," and I definitely agree with them. The storytelling is fantastic, and it has renewed my own interest in imagining engaging tales to tell. What I enjoy most is its realism in terms of character and plot development and its tendency to turn television cliches and conventions on their ears (for example, leaping forward in time an entire year in the second season finale and abandoning the working premise for the show, at least temporarily). Because I enjoy this show so much, I'm going to devote time each Friday before the latest episode airs to discussing the series. (For those looking to check it out, it airs at 8 p.m. central time on Fridays on the SciFi channel.)

I'm very curious to see tonight's episode, Exodus: Part Two. The Galactica is preparing to stage a rescue operation that is huge in its scope (involving the rescue of tens of thousands of people controlled under Cylon occupation on the planet of New Caprica). My primary concern about this season's opening scenario (most of humanity ruled by the enemy) has been how it will be resolved. I wonder how effective a rescue of this size can be in such a short period of time. Will this seem contrived and hokey? Will the whole scenario seem like a four-and-a-half episode pointless diversion if humanity escapes back to space again so quickly? (Granted, it's only quickly in episode length: The Colonials have been on the planet for one year and a half, and they've been under Cylon control for more than four months.) My gut says yes to these questions, but previous experience with the show's writers and producers leads me to think the answer is no. We'll see.

What does all of this mean for Baltar, the much-maligned president, in name only, of the colonies? Will he be better off staying with the Cylons or begging for mercy and siding with humanity? I love this character and am eager to see how this unfolds.

No comments: