Thinktrain has moved! Redirecting…


You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://thinktrain.net/ and update your bookmarks.


Monday, November 06, 2006

Crackberry: word of the year


The World College Dictionary's word of the year is crackberry, which describes addiction to Blackberry devices. This seems a little late to me because I remember hearing this phrase in 2003 or 2004 at the least, but I guess this means that crackberry has officially entered our societal consciousness (or at least that, on average, this word doesn't have to be defined at least somewhat often when used in conversation because people know it already).

It's interesting to me when a word transcends its original meaning over time. How often do you picture the fruit (above) before you picture the phone when you hear this in conversation? The first time I've thought of the real berry before the smartphone berry in a long time was this past weekend, and that was because I was in a winery that featured blackberry wine. (It wasn't very good, if you ask me.)

Is there a word for Treo addiction, because that's my particular strain of this ailment. Treoitis, perhaps?

No comments: